Active Micro Cooler-Design and Manufacturing of Micro-Scale Product
1. Research Topic
Development of meso-scale vapor compression refrigeration system.
2. Research Contents
We are developing a meso-scale vapor compression refrigeration system that can be used in cooling small machines generating large amount of heat. The cooling capacity of the system is 80W in 60×60 mm2. The refrigerant is R-123 which has the evaporating temperature of 28?at 1 bar. The condensing temperature is 60?at 2.8 bar.
Fig.1 The refrigeration system and the refrigeration cycle
1. Previous work
A. Optimal design of micro-channel evaporator
The micro-channel evaporator with lateral gaps was designed and manufactured. The design parameters of the evaporator were selected by experiment. We also visualize the flow inside evaporator to observe the phenomena during evaporation
Fig.2 Prototypes of the evaporator and the flow visualization of the refrigerant
B. Development of meso-scale rotary vane compressor
The meso-scale rotary vane compressor was designed and manufactured as shown in Fig. 3. The system is oil-less system. For lubrication, the vane was made of graphite and the rotor is coated with MoS2. The pressure ratio and the flow rate are 2.8 and 10 lpm, respectively.
Fig.3 Meso-scale rotary vane compressor
2. Present work
A. Control of vapor compression refrigeration system.
The dynamic modeling of the refrigeration system will be conducted and verified. We will control the system with proper control theory.
• Taijong Sung, Donghun Lee, Hwa Soo Kim, Jongwon Kim "Development of a novel meso-scale vapor compression refrigeration system (mVCRS)" APPLIED THERMAL ENGINEERING66453-463 2014 [PDF]
• Sangrok Jin, Taijong Sung, Jongwon Kim, TaeWon Seo "Optimal design of a micro-orifice for constant evaporator superheat in a small cooler" Applied Thermal Engineering312631-2635 2011 [PDF]
• Sangrok Jin, Taijong Sung, TaeWon Seo b, Jongwon Kim "Characteristics of R-123 two-phase flow through micro-scale short tube orifice for design of a small cooling system" Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science351484-1489 2011 [PDF]
• Taijong Sung, Daesik Oh, Sangrok Jin, Tae Won Seo, Jongwon Kim "Optimal Design of a Micro Evaporator with Lateral Gaps" Appleid Thermal Engineering292921-2926 2009 [PDF]
• Hyonse Kim, Chihyun In, Gilho Yoon, Jongwon Kim "A slim type microvalve driven by PZT films" Sensors and Actuators A-Physical 121162-171 2005 [PDF]
• 진상록, 성태종, 김종원 "초소형 냉각기의 오리피스 팽창장치 직경에 따른 증발기 출구 과열도 변화 연구" 한국정밀공학회 05 05 2010 [PDF]
• T.J.Sung, D.S.Oh, T.W.Seo, J.W.Kim "Optimal Design of a Micro Evaporator to Maximize Heat Transfer Coefficient" ASPEN 2007Kwangju 1. 11 2007 [PDF]
• 성태종, 오대식, 서태원, 김종원 "열전달 계수 최대화를 위한 마이크로 증발기의 최적설계" 한국정밀공학회 6. 06 2007 [PDF]
• 성태종, 진상록, 김종원 "능동형 메조 스케일 냉동기" 10-2014-0066219
• 김종원, 김현세,권기백, 서태원 "고종횡비 3차원 마이크로 부품의 대량 생산 방법" 10-2003-0078423
• 김종원, 김현세, 권기백 "능동형 마이크로 냉각기(Active Micro Cooler)" 10-2002-0064993
Ph.D : Taijong Sung, Sangrok Jin