Compliant wall-climbing robot
1. Research Topic
A new climbing robotic mechanism for High-payload climbing and transitioning by compliant locomotion with magnetic adhesion
< Experiment movie of Combot >
2. Research Contents
This research presents a new climbing robotic mechanism for high-payload climbing and wall-to-wall transitioning. Payload capacity and transition ability are very important in climbing-robot applications for heavy industries and construction industries. The proposed robotic platform consists of three magnetic tread-wheel modules that are connected by links with two compliant joints. The front compliant joints are passive type with a torsion spring, and the rear compliant joints are active type with torque-controlled motors. A torque-controlled tail is attached at the end of the third module. Various transitions are achieved by the compliant joints, which change shape depending on the external conditions. High payloads are achieved by the large contact area of three magnetic tread-wheel modules. Detailed design issues are presented with analysis of the design parameters. The robot can perform two internal and two external transitions against gravity and every possible transition in the side surface driving direction. The robot can carry 10 kg payloads on vertical surfaces and on a ceiling. The ability to overcome a 30 mm diameter obstacle on vertical surfaces is also verified by experiments. The proposed robotic platform is going to be used in heavy industries.
Fig 1. 3-D modeling of the Combot configuration
The detail specifications of Combot is following. First module = 2.8 kgf, second module = 2.8 kgf, third module = 4.5 kgf. The power of the motor is supplied by an external power supply. The robot and PC-based interface communicated through a USB cable device. The size of the Combot was 216 × 522 × 38 mm3, excluding the tail length, and the weight of the Combot was 6.4 kg, including battery, controller, torque sensor, and signal conditional.
Fig 2. Photo snapshots during internal transitions: 0°–90° (a–c); 270°–0° (d–f);
Photo snapshots during external transitions: 0°–270° (g–i); 90°–0° (j–l);
Fig 3. Photos of the vertical climbing (a) upward with 10 kg payload, (b) downward (reverse) with 15 kg payload, (c) downward with 10 kg payload, and (d) photo of 10 kg static payload capacity on a ceiling.
Fig 4. Photos of the side surface driving and transitioning (see also Multimedia Extension): internal transitioning (a–d); external transitioning (e–h).
Fig 5. Photos of overcoming an obstacle on a vertical surface: upward direction (a–d); downward direction (e–h).
• Sungmin Nam, Jongkyun Oh, Giuk Lee, Jongwon Kim, TaeWon Seo "Dynamic analysis during internal transition of a compliant multi-body climbing robot with magnetic adhesion" JOURNAL OF MECHANICAL SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY285175-5187 2014 [PDF]
• 오종균, 이기욱, 김종원, 서태원 "높은 유효하중 능력과 다양한 벽면전환 능력을 가진 다관절 등반로봇의 개발 및 추종제어" 제어로봇시스템학회논문지19915-920 2013 [PDF]
• Giuk Lee, Geeyun, Jongwon Kim, and TaeWon Seo "High-Payload Climbing and Transitioning by Compliant Locomotion with Magnetic Adhesion" Robotics and Autunomous Systems601308-1316 2012 [PDF]
• 이기욱, 서근찬, 박준환, 김황, 김선호, 김홍석 "변형 트랙 메커니즘을 이용한 등반 로봇 설계" 한국정밀공학회지29178-184 2012 [PDF]
• 이기욱, 오종균, 김종원, 서태원 "높은 유효하중 능력과 다양한 벽면전환 능력을 가지는 다관절 등반로봇 개발" ICROS 2013창원 24 5. 2013 [PDF]
• 이기욱, 오종균, 김종원, 서태원 "높은 유효하중 능력과 다양한 벽면전환 능력을 가지는 다관절 등반로봇 개발" ICROS 2013Changwon 24 5. 2013 [PDF]
• Giuk Lee, Geeyun Wu, Jongwon Kim and Taewon Seo "Combot: Compliant Climbing Robotic Platform with Transitioning Capability and Payload Capacity" ICRA 2012Minnesota 18 05 2012 [PDF]
• 남성민, 오종균, 이기욱, 김종원, 서태원 "유연한 등반 로봇의 동역학 해석" 한국정밀공학회 2012년도 춘계 학술 대회Jeju 12 2012 [PDF]
• Giuk Lee, Kunchan Seo, Seokwoo Lee, Junhwan Park, Hwang Kim, Jongwon Kim, and Taewon Seo "Compliant Track-Wheeled Climbing Robot with Transitioning Ability and High-Payload Capacity" 2011 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and BiomimeticsPhucket 11 12 2011 [PDF]
• 이기욱, 우지윤, 김종원, 서태원 "높은 페이로드 성능을 가지는 유연한 등반로봇의 개발" 한국정밀공학회 2011 춘계학술대회Jeju 06 06 2011 [PDF]
• 이기욱, 우지윤, 김종원, 서태원 "벽면 전환 능력과 페이로드 성능을 가지는 유연한 등반 로봇 개발" 한국정밀공학회 2011년도 추계 학술 대회Gwangju 11 2011 [PDF]
• 이기욱, 서근찬, 김황, 박준환, 이봉주, 김재호, 김종원 "변형 캐터필러 메커니즘을 이용한 등반로봇 설계" 한국정밀공학회 2010 춘계학술대회Jeju 5. 05 2010 [PDF]
• Giuk Lee, Junhwan Park, Hwang Kim,Kunchan Seo, Jongwon Kim "Wall Climbing Robots with Track-wheel Mechanism" 2011 3rd International Conference on Machine Learning and Computing (ICMLC 2011)Singapore [PDF]
_Ph.D : Giuk Lee
M. S : Jongkyun Oh
B. S : Geeyun Wu, Sungmin Nam